Saturday, June 17, 2006

Gettin' our kicks on Hwy 150

Friday our goal was to get to Lake Norman but on the way we got sidetracked. We're staying at my house in Salisbury this weekend so we took off down Hwy 150 towards Mooresville. Before we got 10 minutes down the road, I remembered a place that I used to see on Miller Road, Ed's Carp Lake. I'd never actually been here, only seen it on the road, so it was exciting to meet the Ed. When we got there Ed was getting restocked with "carp juice" in his shop.(it's used for bait) For the record Cheerwine tastes a LOT better than carp juice.



We were also being followed by a reporter and photographer from the Salisbury Post(That's who took our picture with Ed). The reporter told us her son was in a day camp in nearby China Grove. Steve and I pretty much go wherever seems interesting at the time, and day camp definitely seemed like the place to go after Ed's. Here's the reporting crew.



After we went to day camp and gave all the kids a Cheerwine we saw another group of kids walking around a church in China Grove. We stopped and gave them all drinks. One kid asked what the coozie(sp?) Steve had in his hand was for so he said "it keeps your drink cold." Apparently that was the code phrase for "I'll take each of your Cheerwines and put it in the coozie then pull it out and give it back to you." Here's a shot of Steve giving all the kids an extra boost of cold with the coozie.



We finally got back to Hwy 150 but only made it a short way down the road again before we stopped. The Lazy 5 Ranch was too much to pass up. They let us in for free, probably because we're so dashing, and we gave out a ton of sodas to parkgoers and day camp groups. We also got to do the drive-through the ranch where you get to feed animals from your car! Or in our case Red.



Maybe it was just camera trouble or maybe we were too busy gawking at what was happening, but during our drive-through a zebra stuck its head basicallly in my lap and a giraffe licked Red's roof. Even our van tastes good.

After a long time at the Lazy 5 we finally got back on the highway towards Lake Norman. We sampled in Lake Norman State Park and some boat landings around the lake before heading home for the day. There was a cool "beach" area for swimming at the park.


On Saturday we'll be in the Queen City area. Follow us. Follow us to freedom.

-Sam

2 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger luvcw said...

I thought we were in the land of "freedom" I don't get it---are you goin' to ...um-m-m-m I still thinkin...now, I'm thinkin' I need a Cheerwine to get the cobwebs out of my head!

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that "Ed" guy--where is that place?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home